Canada united in the achievement of zero waste, now and for future generations.
To act collaboratively with business, government and the community, at the national and international level, as an agent of change for waste prevention and reduction in the design, production and use of goods.
The National Zero Waste Council is leading Canada's transition to a circular economy by bringing together governments, businesses and NGOs to advance a waste prevention agenda that maximizes economic opportunities for the benefit of all Canadians. By taking action on the factors that drive waste generation, the Council is supporting a high quality of life, environmental sustainability and economy prosperity while consuming fewer resources and less energy.
- Commit to collaboratively working with business, government and community partners to develop new solutions.
- Adopt a waste prevention and reduction framework that positions Canadian cities and businesses to compete globally in an emerging resource-constrained economy.
- Align with global and international initiatives.
- Promote the economic, social, and environmental benefits associated with the conservation of resources
- Consider local and global consequence and long term impacts.
Catalyzing change in the design of products and packaging to reduce material intensity and allow them to be more easily reused, recycled and recovered.
Catalyzing change in behaviour, among all stakeholders and sectors of society, with the goal of reducing the amount of waste entering the waste stream.