The National Zero Waste Council,
an initiative of Metro Vancouver, is leading Canada's transition to a circular economy by bringing together governments, businesses and NGOs to advance a waste prevention agenda that maximizes economic opportunities for the benefit of all Canadians.
Canada united in the achievement of zero waste, now and for future generations.
To act collaboratively with business, government and the community, at the national and international level, as an agent of change for waste prevention and reduction in the design, production and use of goods.
- Commit to collaboratively working with business, government and community partners to develop new solutions.
- Adopt a waste prevention and reduction framework that positions Canadian cities and businesses to compete globally in an emerging resource-constrained economy.
- Align with global and international initiatives.
- Promote the economic, social, and environmental benefits associated with the conservation of resources
- Consider local and global consequence and long term impacts.
Catalyzing change in the design of products and packaging to reduce material intensity and allow them to be more easily reused, recycled and recovered.
Catalyzing change in behaviour, among all stakeholders and sectors of society, with the goal of reducing the amount of waste entering the waste stream.
Published in June 2022, the
National Zero Waste Council 2022-2025 Strategic Plan outlines the foundation, approaches, strategic priority areas, and directions for future work of the Council from 2022 to 2025. The plan was developed with a diversity of stakeholders over six months of consultation. The resulting 2022-2025 Strategic Plan is intended to inform decision-making by providing guidance to the Management Board, Secretariat, Working Groups, and broader Council membership to better align work programming with the Council’s vision and mission.
National Zero Waste Council Secretariat
Sandra Jansen, Director
Lucy Duso, Manager
Joanne Gauci, Senior Policy Advisor
Denise Philippe, Senior Policy Advisor
Rita Farkas, Senior Policy Advisor
Pilar Dean, Administrative Coordinator